What size garage doors do I need?
Whether you’re a homeowner or a business owner, your garage door can make a big difference in the way that your property looks and works. And while you may be tempted to simply choose the biggest size possible, it’s important to think about how much space is really needed before making that decision. After all, if you end up with doors that are too large for your space or vehicle needs, then they’ll just be wasted space—and worse yet!
How to figure out the right size for your garage door
To determine the right size of your garage door, you need to measure the width and height of your garage door opening. You can also measure the length of your vehicles, which will help you determine if a standard size door or an oversized one is best for you. You should also know what weight each vehicle weighs to ensure that it doesn’t exceed the weight capacity of your new garage door opener.
Once all these measurements have been taken, it’s time to calculate how much room is needed for each vehicle in your garage and then add up all those numbers together to get an idea about how big a new custom-made garage door opener needs to be. But there are two ways to go about doing this: either by using an online calculator or by calculating it yourself with simple math equations.
Single-door garage doors are the most common type of door and the best choice for many homeowners. Single-door garages are less expensive than double-doors, easier to install and maintain and more energy efficient.
- Single-door garage doors are less expensive than double-doors because they take up less space, which means you won’t need as much room in your garage.
- Single-doors are also easier to install because they don’t require any additional work like double doors do (such as installing tracks or hardware).
- Single doors generally have fewer moving parts than double ones; this makes them less likely to jam or break down over time.
Single-door garages have their own set of advantages over other styles:
You can also choose double garage doors, which are larger than single ones and increase your storage capacity. This is ideal if you have a lot of bulky items or vehicles that need to be stored in the garage.
Double garage doors are more expensive than single doors, but they offer several advantages:
- They’re more likely to fit in the space you have available. You may not be able to find a single-door model that fits your vehicle(s). If this is the case, then buying two smaller doors might be cheaper than one large door and will allow you to save money by using one side for an auto bay and another side for storage purposes.
- They provide better insulation against heat loss (or gain) during winter months; thus saving energy costs on heating bills
Your garage doors should be big enough to fit your vehicles, but not so big that they’re wasteful or don’t fit in the space.
Consider the size of your house when determining the right garage door size. The garage doors should be proportional to the overall square footage of your home and its exterior features, so if you have a two-car garage, for example, look for a double-wide door. Make sure that it’s wide enough to fit both vehicles in case one is parked on an angle or needs repairs.
When choosing a new garage door, think about how much extra space you need for storing tools or other items outside of the car—for example, if you’re planning on building small structures in your backyard while living there (e.g., sheds), then having additional storage space will be useful as well in case something breaks down during construction and needs repairing right away without having to go inside first (this could also include lawnmowers).
There are many factors to consider when choosing a garage door size. The most important thing is that you know what size of opening your garage has, and that you choose the right door for your needs. With so many options available, it can be hard to know where to start. If you’re having trouble figuring out what kind of garage door will fit best in your home or business, give us a call!